The Incredible Sam Shepherd Retires from Fitness Modeling & Physique Competitions


 
 

His entire high school career was consumed with football and the weight room. His diet was much different back then, but it gave him a strong base once he was done with high school. With nothing left to consume his time he stumbled upon bodybuilding and he has loved it ever since!

Sam is from a small town in West Virginia [New Martinsville]. He was a student at WVU and worked construction in the summer. Growing up in a small town he was raised on a strong work ethic and integrity. His parents always pushed him to be the best he could possibly be and that is one reason he fell in love with fitness. Either you put in the work and get results, or you don’t and you don’t get the results. There are no shortcuts.

Around 8th grade I hit puberty and had a growth spurt. I went from 5’2 to 5’8 in a matter of a year. My dad had bought my brother some lifting equipment for our basement and I started lifting a little too. I reported to football practice at 5’8” 125lbs my freshman year. My brother was a senior team captain, and made all-state. I remember looking up to him so much. He helped me in the weight room with what he knew and I worked so hard all year. My sophomore year I reported to practice at 5’9” 145lbs. One day I got into a little fight with a teammate and I will always remember him saying, “You will never be anything close to what your brother was.” That statement basically propelled my high school career and put me on the path to where I am today. I worked harder than ever. I stayed after 3 hour practices and lifted in the weight room. I discovered bodybuilding.com and learned how to really lift the right way. My junior and senior year I was 5’10” and 195 lbs. I ended up being a team captain, all-state, and winning state as a senior.

Sometimes it can be something as little as a negative statement that can help you find the love of your life. Mine is bodybuilding. I remember seeing my first Ronnie Coleman video and being amazed. I became infatuated with muscle and aesthetics. I would sit in class and draw what I thought was the perfect body and dream about my workout after school. Eventually I started reading the nutrition articles on bodybuilding.com and that was what really made the difference. I started to eat right for my body and the gains came flying in. That pretty much puts me where I am now. The thing that I love most about it is bettering myself every day. I want to be the best person I possibly can in every single way, this is one big part of it.

Is there anything you are working towards in the future?
 

I have a photo shoot with Pat Lee in Chicago June 21st and I am flying straight out of Chicago to L.A for a shoot with FLEX and IFBB Pro Matt Christianer. I am really excited and honored for these opportunities. I am currently dieting and training very hard in preparation for them both. Hopefully these first two shoots can launch a successful fitness modeling career and even more! I also plan on competing in my first Men’s Physique competition next spring.

What is your overall goal or your dream?

Overall, I want to be the best person I can be and help as many people as I can. I want to become an IFBB pro in Men’s Physique and the Men’s Physique Mr. Olypmia. That is a large task, but I do not believe I can achieve my full potential if I shoot for anything lower. I also want to become a very successful fitness model, and be on the cover of magazines. Ultimately I want to cast a good light on bodybuilding and the fitness industry and be able to represent it well. Hopefully, people will look back and say that I did great things, and looked awesome while I did it too!


Comments

  1. These pics will be deleted soon; I will leave them up a while since Sam was one of the Great young Fitness Models and Physique Competitors in both muscles and mind!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MUSCULAR PHENOM ALEX DAVIS

RYAN SCOTT NELSON